Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Reason for Who I Am Today

I was asked to write an essay about a living leader who has inspired me... Here's what I had to say:


The Reason for Who I Am Today

It had been a long time with my hands on that window pane, staring at the world outside. The universe had been white and black for so long that I stopped sensing colors; bleached from all that was good and hopeful. Fell into the rabbit hole and was in wonderland; lost perception and voice of reason. Fought to stay because why face the world?? Why stand eye to eye with what’ll stab me in the back and get me on my knees?? Just when I thought hope was snuffed out like candles on a birthday cake and the dusty road of life never seemed harder to go on, an unusual character showed up.
No more hiding under beds - no more sugar trails - no more calling like a crow! It’s she who made me realize that I should have picked up all the pieces and put them back together instead of watching them scattered all around. It’s she who painted every inch in the painting
and introduced vision to my eyes. She spoke to my soul with a voice that was louder than a roar of thunder and was the soothing rain that made me hold my hands to the sky. She’s Oprah Winfrey, the richest self-made woman in America, the richest African-American of the 20th century and who rightfully earned the title “The Most Powerful Woman in the World”.
Can you have a rough start, but still pick up from where you started on your own?? Do you dare to dream and never give up even after a strong wind?? Well, Oprah Winfrey can. She’s no ordinary woman! Climbed a mountain all the way to the top on her own; from a young abused child to a wonder woman who had all powers in one hand. She’s the reason behind the sun creeping in and filling every corner in my room again, why the world makes sense and why I stand up after a harsh fall.
I’m no longer longing behind walls, I’m out there smelling the fresh air, touching the green grass, catching fireflies and dancing in the rain. She made a believer out of a skeptic, a dreamer out of a realist. I now feel like I can achieve anything I put my mind into; like I can face a hurricane and still get on my feet. My world is no longer utter confusion; I have bid my farewells to the days of chaos, the Cheshire Cat and the “Off with their heads”. I’ve acquired so much and I’m solid enough to be a part of the real world not as a viewer, but an active member who’s ready to put himself out there with not a speck of fear. “I do not believe in failure. It is not failure if you enjoyed the process.”-Oprah Winfrey. I’m thankful for her existence; for she’s the reason behind the strong assured person writing this essay today.

0 comments:

 

Get Your Daily Dose of Vitamin D ♪ Copyright © 2011 | Template design by O Pregador | Powered by Blogger Templates